October 26, 2008

It's Only A Movie

Now that Halloween is fast approaching, it's time for TV to start showing those same old 'scary" movies. Horror movies are my favorite. As long as they're done good. A few of the cliche' movies are okay as well. i remember as a kid, tricking my mom into looking at the TV every time Freddy would kill some poor sucker. Damn she was gullible, because she looked every time.



As i grew up, i wanted to be able to make movies like those. Even create some of the characters. As i grew older, i kinda got my chance. As i studied music and film in college in Pittsburgh, i made friends with other students who were in the Industrial design field. or the movie FX field. I also happened to land one of the, if not the best job i have had to date.

There was a gentleman, who worked in Hollywood, who was putting on a very large haunted house from the start of September to the end of October. It was taking place at the Igloo (Melon Arena). This man was Robert Short. Creator of such characters as the mermaid from Splash and such delights as the Beetle Juice. It was during this brief two month stint that i was able to do what i have always wanted to. Scare the hell out of people. Here is a clip that Entertainment Tonight did on that particular years event.




Bob is a master FX artist, writer and director. So of course, he lent his knowledge to everyone who was working for him. During the pre-work meetings and the post work meetings. And i always took what he said to me to heart. Even when he was stressed and lashed out at me. He was a man of a boss, because at the end, he came to apologize when he didn't have to. not a lot of bosses will do that. And it was Bob ho introduced me to my idol, Tom Savini. A master horror architect, who has thrilled and scared over the years. What got me the most excited about playing my role as the Phantom, one of three i played in a two month period, was when both Bob and Tom followed a group through and pulled me aside after the group left my station. Both were very impressed with my work. With the way i was able to work the crowd, my ability to ad lib when the tourists thought everything was going to be okay. Tom had told me that i was able to make my character come to life. He offered a few suggestions, which i tried and came to master in a variant of my own, and it worked. It got to the point i could really get under peoples skin. Even to the point i made a few ladies wet themselves. Even one of my college professors didn't know it was me when he and his friends came one night. Though i was one of the people he was talking about when he discussed the previous night in class.

Already being in two movies as a non-paid extra, Sudden Death and Diabolique, this was pushing me further into the movie realm. But it was all to good. I left college, settled for a part time job at Burger King back home and ended up going no where, where i wanted to go. Years went buy and every Halloween i would watch the horror movies that once compelled me into an almost career. I thought those days were long gone. until one of my friends, told me his brother works in the movies. He even went to the same college i did. He called me up one night and said, we're going to Toronto this weekend, so pack your bags. My friends parents drove us up to the train station in Buffalo and we took a train to Toronto. When we got off, we were met by some people that his brother worked with. They took us to the movie lot where the Bride of Chucky was being filmed. The same studio lot where Stargate was being filmed.

Though i never got to meet Ritter or Tilly, i did get to meet Brad Dourif, Nick Stabile, Katherine Heigl and a whole slew of others working on the film. Got to watch as they were preparing for the graveyard scene. Got to look at the equipments and everything i dreamed of in the past had re-lit the fire in me and started to come back. I wanted to do this so bad. That Sunday after a very long night out, we boarded the train and headed back to Buffalo. Never to step foot on another movie set again.

My dreams? they are still there to one day have a credited role in a horror movie as either an actor or an FX artist. Over the years i took my passion of the macabre and put it to use making costumes and make up for others for Halloween. A few even won awards at parties for most original or realistic. Maybe one day i will get to work with my idol and have my dreams come true. But until then, here is a list of my favorite horror movies. They span generations of talent and include both the macabre and hard core. But they are in no particular order.

Movies
Halloween
Halloween 2
Halloween 4
Omen
Omen 2
Rosemary's Baby
House of Wax
House of a 1,000 Corpses
Devils Rejects
Mothman Prophecies
Children of the Corn
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Hell Raiser
Hell Raiser 2
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Blair Witch Project
Bram Stoker's Dracula
House of Usher
Jeepers Creepers
Stigmata
The Unnameable
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Silence of the Lambs
Sleepy Hollow
From Hell
Evil Dead
Army of Darkness
Frankenstein
The Dunwich Horror




Movie Talent
Bela Lugosi
Bruce Campbell
Anthony Hopkins
Johnny Depp
Vincent Price
Jamie Lee Curtis
Donald Pleasence
Borris Karloff
Lon Chaney
Harvey Stephens
Sam Neil









Share:

Categories

Adrenaline (1) Art (17) Bucket List (1) Buffy (6) Cars (1) Charles Boyer (1) Christmas (1) Classics (2) Collections (4) Computers (16) confusion (3) corporate greed (7) Design (8) Dreams (10) fantasy (4) Feelings (1) Forza 6 (1) Frustration (4) Fun (3) funny (11) games (1) Gaming (3) General (91) Google+ (3) greed (3) Halloween (1) health (12) Hedy Lamarr (2) Hollywood Classics (1) horror (5) Ignorance (7) imagination (3) Journalism (1) Life (77) macabre (4) Military (1) Minecraft (3) Monster Trucks (1) Movie (3) Music (9) Ouch (2) Photos (1) Politics (24) Rant's (110) Religion (3) Romance (2) Sad (13) School (3) Silver Screen (1) Speed TV (1) Sports (6) Stupidity (2) Tech (18) TV (4) unemployment (2) Weird (2) World (5) Writings (11) WTH (5)

Google+ Followers

Copyright © Alt+F4 | Powered by Blogger