April 22, 2011

Where Did Journalism Go?

I'm a geek. I admit it. I'm not the type of geek from the Revenge of the Nerd movies, but geek none the less. Back in high school, I used to read the local news papers all the time. I needed my news. But over time, I saw the quality of the news reporting drop and become nothing more then some words on a page.

Being a tech/gaming geek, I scour the web for new tech sites that report on all types of news. A few sites I follow on a regular basis are Tech Dirt, Mashable and Ars Technica. I follow a few more, but these are not only bookmarked on my PC's, but my phone and iTouch. I even follow them on Twitter & Facebook. 

Recently, there have been some incidents about the world of corporate lies, deception and hacking. The story in question is the HBGary Federal VS Anonymous crew. For the most part, the story unfolds like a Hollywood movie. It's a story that in reality, effects every person on the web. Regardless of the fact if you use social media sites/programs or not. 

A group of writers over at Ars Technica put together a series of articles they had written into an ebook. I have read all the individual articles and even purchased the ebook. Once I started reading the articles as they were being posted, I couldn't help but notice the amount of time and effort that went into delivering the most amount of information and background per article. They way it was all put together, the way it was reported made it a very compelling read. 

Modern journalism, for that matter, journalism in general has always been a few short paragraphs, with time, date and incident. Long gone are the days of actual in depth discussion, opinion and story. After reading the entire set of articles, a few times over, I couldn't help but notice that this story never really made the big headlines ion major distribution papers like the NY Times. I was able to find one main article and a few small tidbits here and there. But even the main article is lack luster at best. And the NY Times has set up a Pay Wall to access their content?

I feel, if journalism went back to the way the writers at Ars Technica reported this story, more people would actually get back into reading. Not just tech news, but news in general. Even smaller articles of news can be beefed up with more in-depth information.

So to some good writers and reporters, here's a shout out: @ @ @ @

Share:

Categories

Adrenaline (1) Art (17) Bucket List (1) Buffy (6) Cars (1) Charles Boyer (1) Christmas (1) Classics (2) Collections (4) Computers (16) confusion (3) corporate greed (7) Design (8) Dreams (10) fantasy (4) Feelings (1) Forza 6 (1) Frustration (4) Fun (3) funny (11) games (1) Gaming (3) General (91) Google+ (3) greed (3) Halloween (1) health (12) Hedy Lamarr (2) Hollywood Classics (1) horror (5) Ignorance (7) imagination (3) Journalism (1) Life (77) macabre (4) Military (1) Minecraft (3) Monster Trucks (1) Movie (3) Music (9) Ouch (2) Photos (1) Politics (24) Rant's (110) Religion (3) Romance (2) Sad (13) School (3) Silver Screen (1) Speed TV (1) Sports (6) Stupidity (2) Tech (18) TV (4) unemployment (2) Weird (2) World (5) Writings (11) WTH (5)

Google+ Followers

Copyright © Alt+F4 | Powered by Blogger