October 29, 2012

What's In A Dream?

Back when I was around 25, my younger brother bought his first car. He was 16 at the time. Still didn't have his license, but it was a good project for him. What was it? It was an all original 1973 Nova SS with about 14,000 miles on it.

He had done some summer work for one of our uncles on the farm. Plus helped him rebuild an engine for a truck. So in return, he paid $600 for the car and had it towed home. After a few days, we got it running. And though it was a rust bucket, it purred like a kitten. All matching numbers as well.

We had taken it out on the road at our moms. Just to see what it could do. Four speed manual shift and we both left patch marks through all four gears. Such a BEAST!

It was going to require a lot of work. Mostly a frame off restoration. But it would have been an amazing project car for the both of us, as I had offered him my help. He was the mechanic  but I was good as well. And he kept coming to me for design idea's for color, trim, etc.

But alas, he ended up selling it. He was a dick. Still is sometimes. Told him i would pay the $600, but he said no he wanted eight. In the end, he sold it to some guy neither of us knew for $600. I was pissed. Mainly because, since i was a kid, I was around muscle cars and motorcycles. Everyone had the Impala's and Chevelles, the GTO's and a few GTX's. But no one had a Nova. Unless it was a Nova 2 like my dad's. And The one I did see, I fell in love with and wanted one.

So as I get older, I keep thinking about the car. About how much of a project it would be to restore one to almost factory leaving a little bit to customize. The love and labor it would take to get it and put it together. Then I see dollar signs and my dream starts to fade away into nothingness.

I've seen them for sale from about $7500 to $30,000. From shell's to full running drags. But only a handful of SS's. And most of those are SS clones.

The one I want needs to be matching numbers. A motor that can be stripped down and rebuilt. With the possibilities of a slight overbore. Looking through the factory spec sheet, this is what I want.

Engine manufacturer:
GM Chevrolet L48 (Small-Block V-8 350)
Engine type:
spark-ignition 4-stroke
Fuel type:
petrol (gasoline)
Fuel system:
carburetor
Charge system:
naturally aspirated
Valves per cylinder:
2
Additional features:
4-barrel
Cylinders alignment:
V 8
Displacement:
5733 cm3 / 349.8 cui
Power net:
130.5 kW / 177 PS / 175 hp (SAE net)
/ 4000
Torque:
343 Nm / 260 ft-lb
/ 2800
Top speed:
184 km/h / 114 mph

0-60 mph (s): 9
0-100 mph (s): 
26
0- 1/4mile (s):17



These are factory stock specs for this model. Only difference is mine would be a jet pearl black with white vinyl interior. First generation Cragar SS rims and working AC. Only a few slight minor "current day" modification would be, new style radio for iPod, phone connections, new speakers with amp.

No cup holders, no ashtrays. Just pure muscle under me and an open road in front of me. The first road trip would be down to the Keys across the bridge at sunset.




Share:

Categories

Adrenaline (1) Art (17) Bucket List (1) Buffy (6) Cars (1) Charles Boyer (1) Christmas (1) Classics (2) Collections (4) Computers (16) confusion (3) corporate greed (7) Design (8) Dreams (10) fantasy (4) Feelings (1) Forza 6 (1) Frustration (4) Fun (3) funny (11) games (1) Gaming (3) General (91) Google+ (3) greed (3) Halloween (1) health (12) Hedy Lamarr (2) Hollywood Classics (1) horror (5) Ignorance (7) imagination (3) Journalism (1) Life (77) macabre (4) Military (1) Minecraft (3) Monster Trucks (1) Movie (3) Music (9) Ouch (2) Photos (1) Politics (24) Rant's (110) Religion (3) Romance (2) Sad (13) School (3) Silver Screen (1) Speed TV (1) Sports (6) Stupidity (2) Tech (18) TV (4) unemployment (2) Weird (2) World (5) Writings (11) WTH (5)

Google+ Followers

Copyright © Alt+F4 | Powered by Blogger