May 21, 2013

Excellent Service

For as long as I can remember, I've dealt with the public with my jobs. With The exception of those few factory jobs I've had. Be it working at McDonalds in high school, the department store as a stockperson, the automotive store as a parts manager and now as tech support for a phone company.

It wasn't a career choice and I would like to make a career change to something a little more suited for me to where I don't have to deal with the public as much. However, in the meantime, I do what I do and i'm good at what I do.

Now, yes anyone can do tech support. It's not hard. But in essence, it's how you do it. I've been told repeatedly for the last six and a half years that i've been in this position, that I should be a teacher. Not just by John Q. Public, but by teachers of all grade levels, both currently active and retired.

The way I take technical information, (which really isn't technical at all) and explain it to them in ways they can understand, makes for a good experience. Something i've been able to do really all my life. The ability to listen to a person to figure out what their issue is and find a way to get by their stubbornness to get it resolved.

So, it wasn't really a surprise so to speak, but in a way it was, that I was awarded with a customer service award for outstanding support. Why? I'm just doing what i'm paid to do. Yes, many hear me bitch and moan a lot about John Q Public and the fact that it seems today's society has gotten very lazy when it comes to common sense. I guess sometimes it feels I get up everyday, knowing I will be someones punching bag for their aggressions. Yet day in and day out, I do it, because I know I am good at it. And trust me, it has taken it's toll on me both mentally and medically.

In the end, I know that maybe one out of every eight or nine people I speak with will remember what I told them. And that the others let it go in one ear and out the other. But yet, for some reason I have a glimmer of hope that the words that come out of my mouth will have some kind of impact and help.

The more I think about it, maybe I should have been a teacher. Is it too late at 39 to go back to school?
Share:

Categories

Adrenaline (1) Art (17) Bucket List (1) Buffy (6) Cars (1) Charles Boyer (1) Christmas (1) Classics (2) Collections (4) Computers (16) confusion (3) corporate greed (7) Design (8) Dreams (10) fantasy (4) Feelings (1) Forza 6 (1) Frustration (4) Fun (3) funny (11) games (1) Gaming (3) General (91) Google+ (3) greed (3) Halloween (1) health (12) Hedy Lamarr (2) Hollywood Classics (1) horror (5) Ignorance (7) imagination (3) Journalism (1) Life (77) macabre (4) Military (1) Minecraft (3) Monster Trucks (1) Movie (3) Music (9) Ouch (2) Photos (1) Politics (24) Rant's (110) Religion (3) Romance (2) Sad (13) School (3) Silver Screen (1) Speed TV (1) Sports (6) Stupidity (2) Tech (18) TV (4) unemployment (2) Weird (2) World (5) Writings (11) WTH (5)

Google+ Followers

Copyright © Alt+F4 | Powered by Blogger